- 100g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 70g granulated sugar
- 30g kamahi honey
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 table spoon lemon zest
- 1 table spoon Lemon juice
- 100g all-purpose flour
- 20g almond powder
- 1/2 tea spoonbaking powder
- candied lemon peel (optional)
- 150g pure powdered sugar
- 30g lemon juice
- pistachio or lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 160˚C.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, almond powder, and baking powder.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar with an electric hand mixer until fluffy. Add beaten eggs, one at a time, beating until fully incorporated before adding the next. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, and honey (and lemon peel) beat to combine. Add half the flour and beat to combine.
- Add the rest of the flour and beat just until incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Bake the cake for 45 minutes, until a pick inserted in the center comes out clean. After the cake is done baking, allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then run a knife along the short ends and use the parchment paper edges to lift and remove from pan.
- Turn over the cake and allow to cool on a cooling rack about 5 hours. (I put the cake in the plastic bag to keep from drying out.)
- Sift the powdered sugar into a medium bowl. Add the lemon juice and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the icing over the top of the cake, letting it drip down the sides. Put lemon zest or pistachio on the icing. Let the glaze dry completely, about 30 minutes.